[Nauty] Embedding a 2-regular graph and canonical augmentation

Brendan McKay Brendan.McKay at anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 6 00:17:42 AEDT 2015

Consider the example you sent.  Vertices 0..17 are each fixed by the
group, and 42..59 is an orbit.  Not only that but the action of Aut(G)
on 42..59 is the full S_18 (which is good; the larger the better).

The number of inequivalent ways to insert a 2-regular bipartite graph
between A and B is exactly 2,355,301,661,033,953, which is a bit large.
So if you don't have strong rules for pruning cases during the
generation there is no chance.

Take any fixed-point-free permutation on 0..17, say  (0 4)(1 2 7)(3
12)...  and insert 42..59 into it in arbitrary order to make a
collection of cycles, eg 0-42-4-43-0, 1-44-2-45-7-47-1, ...   All these
are nonisomorphic in your example.  If the group is different the count
could be higher or lower.

The generation process assuming more general possibilities for Aut(G):
the expansion operation is to add one edge in a place allowed, and the
reduction is to remove one A-B edge.  For expansion you have to find the
orbits of the action of Aut(G) on the allowed pairs (x,y) where x is in
A and y is in B.   You can do this by using the userautomproc hook to
apply the generators to AxB.  After adding an edge, you need the orbits
on AxB for the new graph again as well as a canonical labelling.  Reject
the new graph unless the new edge is in the same orbit as the A-B edge
with the lexicographically greatest new labelling.  To make it much
faster, define the rejection criterion using an invariant before
applying nauty and try not to perform expansions that are sure to be
rejected.  (Eg. require the new edge to extend an existing A-B path
rather than starting a new path, when possible.)

Brendan.