[PapuanLanguages] (no subject)

Lise Dobrin ld4n at virginia.edu
Thu Oct 21 00:06:45 EST 2010

You find a somewhat similar splitting up of kin terms in the
Torricelli lgs of this area. Many terms come in pairs, one used when
the relationship is the speaker's own, the other used when the same
relation is another's. Sometimes the two forms are clearly
morphologically related, sometimes they are not. You can find this
described in McGregor and McGregor's Olo Language Materials (Pacific
Linguistics 1982). The Arapesh languages have these paired kin terms
as well (e.g., wawen 'my mother's brother' vs waken 'your/his/their/
etc mother's brother'; yamo 'my mother' vs amakeikw 'your/her/their/
etc mother'), though thinking of your names questions, use of kin
terms in address varies dramatically from place to place -- inland
west of Maprik names are used almost always, to the exclusion of kin
terms (much to the horror of any visiting coastal Arapesh people, for
whom this pattern of use feels outrageously disrespectful!).

Also, Jurg Wassman describes Yupno namelike individual tunes and how
they function in his 1997 article "Finding the Right Path."

Lise