[PapuanLanguages] Debuccalization in Papuan and An languages?

Fanny Cottet fanny_cottet at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 30 09:58:27 EST 2013

Dear all,

Would you be
aware of any Papuan or Austronesian languages where there is an allophonic
variation between any segment and a glottal stop or a glottal fricative [h] or
[ɦ] (i.e. a debuccalization process)?

In Mbaham,
intervocalic /s/ becomes [h]. Iha also has this type of allophonic variation.
In Skou, /k/ becomes [h] intervocalically (also true for some proto-forms in
the language). Apart from these three languages, I have not found it in any
other language I looked at. It seems like quite a rare phenomenon.

If you have
already encountered this type of lenition, could you please let me know? That
would be helpful!

Thanks a lot.

Fanny Cottet.