[PapuanLanguages] Query regarding words for power(/mana)

Andrew Pawley andrew.pawley at anu.edu.au
Sun Sep 8 15:41:50 EST 2013

Dear Alan

First, I agree with Keesing's main point. For example, in the Oceanic language Wayan (W. Fijian) mana is a verb meaning (1) (of a person) able to make  things happen, be effective, have creative power, (2) (of events predicted or wished for) come true, be realised, with transitive form manati- affect or overcome s.o or s.t. , have a strong effect on s.o.   As a (derived) noun mana is glossed (1) power to make things happen, effectiveness, creative power, (2) (of an event foretold) the act of coming true. (from the Wayan dictionary draft).

Among Papuan languages it is tempting to see a connection with Selepet (Huon Peninsula) manman 'life sustaining power' (Selepet-English dictionary, K and N  McElhanon 1970) but I fear the similarity is accidental. Selepet has a verb man- (1) to live,  (2) to practise (a custom)' which is the base for the reduplicated form.  I think this is an old TNG verb root, with cognates elsewhere meaning 'live, exist, stay''. See entry *mVna- 'be, live, stay' in my computer file 'Some TNG etymologies'.

Andy