[PapuanLanguages] Languages named "No"

Christian Döhler christian.doehler at anu.edu.au
Thu Feb 25 19:36:52 AEDT 2016

 Hi Tom,

I have heard a good paper in Leipzig last May by Jan Wohlgemuth which
was about language-naming principles. Very interesting stuff. you can
find his slides here: http://tinyurl.com/hwmdfku

I have heard people in Rouku (Komnzo, Yam-languages) draw a distinction
between languages of the Tonda subgroup and languages of Nambu subgroub
by calling them _keke_-language and _yao_-language respectively, which
is the word `no'. but it is not a widely used attribution, let alone a
language name.

cheers,
Christian

---
Christian Döhler

Department of Linguistics

School of Culture, History & Language

College of Asia & the Pacific
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200

http://people.anu.edu.au/christian.doehler
 [5]http://dobes.mpi.nl/projects/morehead [6]

Am 25.02.2016 05:57 schrieb Tom Honeyman:

> Thank you all,
>
> From a footnote (2) in Laycock 1968 "Languages of the Lumi-Subdistrict":
>
> "It is rare for a language in New Guinea to have a genuine "name" in the sense that speakers of the language will be able to say, 'we speak x language'; usually, village names will be given, or a word that simply translates as 'language', 'speech', etc., or else clan and tribal names may be volunteered. Accordingly, the language names given here are arbitrary; some are from previously published sources such as the SIL surveys. For languages first encountered during the 1967 survey, I have followed the Lumi administrative habit of naming the languages by an anglicised version of the word for 'no'-except in the case of languages spoken by a single village, in which case the village name usually seemed preferable. In one case (Mende) the census division name Seim has been chosen, to avoid confusion with a Highlands language also known as Mende.
>
> The alternative names are, for the most part, those in use locally; few have been published, except for those accompanying the map in Laycock 1965a, which are now to be regarded as being superseded by those given in the present article."
>
> And so it seems that Laycock (via an administrative habit) may have been the source of some of the "no-name" languages.
>
> I'll have to pop into the library to check Laycock 1975, but this Lumi-subdistrict reference is especially pertinent to what I'm working on.
>
>> I've always wondered which came first: Laycock's written records, or the language names? I used to think Laycock started it, but now I'm thinking that the convention was established among the language speakers themselves, long before Laycock visited there. Info anyone?
>
> In the case of Momu/Fas, the language was first named by patrol officers via a village name, but the speakers themselves later preferred Momu, supposedly because there are other languages that do this in the region. So it seems that the etymology would be on a case-by-case basis.
>
> I'm aware of a few places dotted around Australia with "no-names". Most commonly either reduplicated no ("no-no"), or no with the comitative ("no-having"). In 2012, Claire Bowern was collecting etymologies for Australian language names via a survey, but I will have to check with her if she published anything.
>
> Again, thanks everyone,
>
> Regards,
> Tom Honeyman
> [...]
http://www.aikhenvaldlinguistics.com/ [2] http://research.jcu.edu.au/lcrc [3] -----Original Message----- From: PapuanLanguages [mailto:papuanlanguages-bounces at anu.edu.au] On Behalf Of Joyce Wood Sent: Thursday, 25 February 2016 2:29 PM To: papuanlanguages at anu.edu.au Subject: Re: [PapuanLanguages] Languages named "No" 'no' (English) / 'nogat' (Tok Pisin) is the naming convention for languages in the Sepik region of PNG. See Laycock 1975 in Pacific Linguistics. Sorry this is not a full citation. I've always wondered which came first: Laycock's written records, or the language names? I used to think Laycock started it, but now I'm thinking that the convention was established among the language speakers themselves, long before Laycock visited there. Info anyone? - Joyce Wood On 2/25/2016 1:24 PM, Tom Honeyman wrote: Hi All, I have often heard anecdotal evidence of a naming pattern, supposedly widespread, in various parts of both PNG and Australia of languages "named" for the word meaning
"no" (or "no-having", or the negator) in that language. I'm sure I have a memory of someone either publishing or at least blogging about this in the last 10 years or so, but I can't for the life of me find the source. "No" is of course not the only convention either. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Regards, Tom Honeyman _______________________________________________ PapuanLanguages mailing list PapuanLanguages at anu.edu.au http://mailman.anu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/papuanlanguages [4] _______________________________________________ PapuanLanguages mailing list PapuanLanguages at anu.edu.au http://mailman.anu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/papuanlanguages [4] _______________________________________________ PapuanLanguages mailing list PapuanLanguages at anu.edu.au http://mailman.anu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/papuanlanguages [4]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.jcu.edu.au/faess/JCUPRD_043649.html
[2] http://www.aikhenvaldlinguistics.com/