[PapuanLanguages] extensions of 'tree base'

Christian Döhler christian.doehler at uni-koeln.de
Fri Apr 6 19:45:04 AEST 2018

Thanks to everyone for commenting on my little tree base query from last
week and for providing further examples!

It looks like the "tree base - origin, source" colexification is a very
common one. but the "tree base - rivermouth" pattern seems to be special
for some languages of Southern New Guinea. My explanation for this
pattern in Komnzo was always from a local myth in which all people come
from a place that is now somewhere in the Arafura Sea. In all versions
the story, people used to live in a big tree. Depending on the version,
that tree burnt down or it fell towards the north. Then, there was some
event that caused a flood and drove people to the north to what is now
Southern New Guinea. What is important is that the tree's trunk,
branches and twigs created what later became the riverbed. In that
sense, the flood moved inland just like a tree grows upward.

I will try and find out if this myth can be found in other SNG cultures,
for example the Bine speaking area.

Best

Christian

--