[PapuanLanguages] Corrections to the Ndu data

Aikhenvald, Alexandra alexandra.aikhenvald at jcu.edu.au
Thu Mar 29 17:01:11 AEDT 2018

Dear Tim

I am sorry - but it is you who  are wrong. I have no idea what your reconstructions of proto-Kwoma-Nukuma are based on (there is so little out there on Nukuma - and the speakers always beg me to find them a linguist to work on the language!). No scientific evidence AT ALL to the effect that Kwoma-Nukuma and Ndu could be related, believe you me! The information availabvle on Wpogamusin-Chenapian is scant; I have a good friend among the Wogamusin who will welcome a linguist working with his community!

By the way, have you ever done any original work on any of these languages, including the Ndu languages? Or are you one of those professional 'comparativists' making  sweeping statements about Proto-Anything they can lay their hands on?

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, DLitt, FQAAS, FAHA
Distinguished Professor and Australian Laureate Fellow
Director of the Language and Culture Research Centre
James Cook University
PO Box 6811, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia
mobile 0400 305315, office 61-7-42321117
fax 61-7-4232 1880
http://www.aikhenvaldlinguistics.com/
http://research.jcu.edu.au/lcrc

How Gender Shapes the World
By Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald
Now available from Oxford University Press