[PapuanLanguages] Have you encountered any deaf/hearing signers and/or sign languages/systems in your fieldwork?

Alexandra Aikhenvald a.aikhenvald at cqu.edu.au
Sun Feb 13 14:42:06 AEDT 2022

Dear Lauren (if I may)

Thanks for your question! There was a similar query from Alan Rumsey some time ago; and I replied to that, based on my work with the Manambu and the Yalaku people in the Sepik.

I encountered deaf people in two communities - Yuanamb (Yambun: an outlier Manambu community, of the four major ones) and Yalaku (the main village where Yalaku is spoken (Yalaku was misheard by Laycock who spent a day or so there as Yelogu; people get offended by the term Yelogu; I have never shown them Laycock's notes because of the offensive remarks he made there about a speaker he 'worked' with).

I did witness a set of home signs (used to a girl in Yuanamb who was deaf): these included directions with the hand, and deictic gestures. The man in Yalaku was hearing, but he could not speak; so he was the one using homesigns (very similar). I wrote down more descriptions, and if need more, I could dig them u. My e-mail is a.aikhenvald at cqu.edu.au

What I found interesting is the way the deaf are referred to in Manambu (and Yalaku): Manmabu kwa:m, same as 'crazy, non-thinking', Yalaku hom (same meaning). The idea of thinking is associated with the 'ear' (I published a paper which mentions this which I could share), and a crazy person (incluidng a disobedient child) will be referred to as 'the one who does not have (an) ear'; this may be the link.

It would be nice to get the attachments!

Best wishes

Sasha

Professor Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, Dlitt, FAHA, FQAAS, MAE
Adjunct Professor and Australian Laureate Fellow
Foundation Director of the Language and Culture Research Centre (JCU)
Consultant OED (South American Indian languages)
http://www.aikhenvaldlinguistics.com/; https://staff-profiles.cqu.edu.au/home/view/25682
https://www.ae-info.org/ae/Member/Aikhenvald_Alexandra
Centre for Indigenous Health Equity Research,
CQUniversity Australia, 42-52 Abbott Street & Shields Street, Cairns City QLD 4870
 Mobile 0400305315
Landline 61 07 40379178 (or ext. 59178)

I respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which we work and learn, and pay respect to the First Nations Peoples and their elders, past, present and future.