[PapuanLanguages] words/expressions for "6 basic emotions" in Papuan languages

Joseph Brooks brooks.josephd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 03:05:02 AEST 2022

Hi everyone,
My uncle is doing a project on apparent universals in 6 human emotions and
their expression. Not putting stock in that idea personally, but I told him
I would ask to see about lexical items or (clear) expressions for the 6
emotions in other Papuan languages. Which of these 6 does the language(s)
you have worked on have clear means to express? They are: joy, sorrow,
anger, fear, surprise, disgust.

In Chini I find there are clear or at least reasonably marginal ways to say
the first 5, joy being perhaps a hard one (at best the equivalent of
"hamamas nogut tru" in pidgin). I know of no lexical form or expression for
'disgust' beyond the equivalent for "Mi les".

Cheers
Joseph

--
*"Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the
wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God