[ANUBC] Bridge!

ANU Bridge Club Announcements List anubc-announce at anu.edu.au
Sun Jul 31 20:18:45 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a great semester break. Updating you on bridge stuff for the
next semester.

**** News* -* ACT Teams at the Australian National Championships* ***

Congratulations to the ACT Open Team and the ACT Youth Team who came 2nd in
their respective fields!
After a hard fought and exciting Australian National Championships we
welcome back the youth team (with a large ANU presence) who fought back from
last place after the first round robin to beat NSW, SA, WA and QLD into the
final against Victoria. Going into the last 40 boards of the 300 board
qualifier there was only a 30.4 Victory Point margin between 2nd and 5th,
and ACT eventually triumphed over next-best SA by only 5 VPs (around 250 in
terms of score on a single bridge hand - contrast with making a game worth
400+).

*Lunchtime Bridge

*We will resume Lunchtime Bridge at 1-2 on Thursdays this week. Hope to see
lots of you there.

*!! Sapphire Coast Congress !!

*The Sapphire Coast Congress trip is still on. Please email me soon as I
have to make special logistical plans asap. This is a great congress to get
to and the organisers would like to see a large youth presence there. 10-11
September, Merimbula. Transport arrangements will be made if you are not
able to get down there yourself.

*Bridge Options in Canberra*

If you would like to play bridge in a club environment there are a few
options available to you.

*Canberra Bridge Club *- 6 Duff Pl Deakin (this place is easier to get to by
car at night)
Walk-ins (no pre-entry required, 21-28 boards over ~3 hours) on Monday,
Wednesday and Friday nights (around 7 or 7:30 to 10:30 ish) and every
afternoon.
http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/
*
Capital Bridge Club *- walk-ins Tuesdays and Thursday nights in Belconnen
(at the Labor Club or the Community Centre)
http://www.capital.bridge-club.org

*South Canberra Bridge Club *- Walk-ins Wednesday night at the Woden
Southern Cross Club.

It is advisable to bring a partner, but sometimes if you call them ahead of
time they may be able to find a partner for you.

I hope to see you all on Thursday afternoon!

John