[Aqualist] INTIMATE08 workshop and FoQ field trip

Tim Barrows Tim.Barrows at anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 2 16:14:14 EST 2008

From: Peter Almond <Almondp at tui.lincoln.ac.nz>

Dear All

Attached is the first flyer for an AUS-INTIMATE
2008 workshop to be held in Takaka in June of
this year. The workshop will be followed by a
Friends of the Quaternary field trip in the north
west Nelson area. Please note this in your
diaries and start planning. We are inviting oral
and poster presentations. The main aim of the
workshop is to avail everyone of the status of
the AUS-INTIMATE project and reach some consensus
for the way forward over the next 3 years. The
workshop and field trip are timed to provide you
with a much needed, stimulating diversion in the
depths of mid winter and we are looking forward
to your attendance. A registration form will be
posted on the NZ Paleoclimate web site (www.paleoclimate.org.nz) soon.

Peter Almond
On behalf of NZ-INTIMATE coordinators (P Almond, A. Mackintosh, M. Vandergores)

NZ-INTIMATE Workshop and Friends of the Quaternary field trip June 12-15 2008

Dear colleagues Following on from the very
successful first phase of the AUS-INTIMATE
project, which culminated with presentation of NZ
and Australian Climate Event Stratigraphies
(CESs) at the 2007 XVII INQUA Congress in Cairns,
we would like to move into a second phase by
holding a two-day NZ-INTIMATE meeting in Takaka
on June 12 and 13 of this year based at Victoria
University’s Onekaka Field Station. This meeting
will be followed by a Friends of the Quaternary
field trip over the following weekend. The three
year funding period for the first phase of
AUS-INTIMATE ended in 2007 and the second phase
was rebid in January of this year.

The new proposal for continued recognition and
funding of the AUS-INTIMATE project is still
under consideration by PALCOMM. I’m sure those of
you who participated in NZ-INTIMATE so far will
agree that Phase I was a very worthwhile project
and one which galvanized the NZ paleoclimate
community. Even if the latest proposal is
unsuccessful in securing funding we would like to
think NZ-INTIMATE can continue. To this end we
see the meeting as a venue in which we can review
progress to date in Phase I, discuss the present
proposal, and debate the future of NZ INTIMATE in
the context of the larger AUS – INTIMATE project
over the next three years heading toward the next INQUA Congress.

As has become the tradition the workshop would
also be an opportunity for people to present, in
an informal setting, papers and posters showing
off their new data. Friends of the Quaternary is
an evolution of the old Friends of the Quaternary
group that was coordinated by Alan Palmer. After
a long dormancy (since 1997) Brent Alloway
resurrected the tradition in 2003 by initiating a
field trip to the Wanganui Basin co-led with Tim
Naish and Alan Palmer. Nicola Litchfield followed
suit by organising a trip around Hawkes Bay in
2005. FoQ 2008 is to be led by Olivia Hyatt and
others around the Quaternary highlights of
north-west Nelson. For those who don’t know her,
Olivia is a PhD student of Jamie Shulmeister’s
who worked on karst glacial features in the Cobb
Valley and who is now engaged in a PhD on glacial
geomorphology and sedimentology in the Rakaia and
other valleys in the south Island.

Please consider the attached agenda for the
INTIMATE meeting and the indicative itinerary for
the FoQ. The procedure for registration will be
advised soon. As is the tradition with INTIMATE
meetings and FoQ we will be doing our utmost to
keep costs to a minimum. We will negotiate group
booking rates at local accommodation providers
and keep the cost of the field trip down by
minimising paper (i.e. a minimalist tour guide) and using private transport.

Please also forward this email to any member of
the community who you think would be interested
but who isn’t on my distribution list.

NZ-INTIMATE Meeting June 12th-13th 2008 AGENDA

June 12

Morning-     Arrive, ice breaker, welcome     Peter Almond
10.30 am     The PALCOMM perspective     Jamie Shulmeister
11.30 am     The NZ-CES status                 P Almond/J Shulmeister
12.30 pm     Lunch
1.30 pm         oral papers
3.30 pm         afternoon tea and posters
4.00 pm     NZ-INTIMATE Phase II proposal Peter Almond oral papers

June 13
9.00 am     oral papers 1
0.30 am     morning tea and posters
11.30 am     Status of
Oz-INTIMATE                             David Fink or stand - in
                     oral papers
12.30pm     Lunch
1.30 pm     INTIMATE Phase II
workshop                         Marcus Vandergoes,
                   future direction, objectives,
milestones,         Peter Almond
                     leadership,
meetings                                     Andrew Mackintosh
4.00 pm     Summary, farewell Peter Almond

Friends of the Quaternary Field Trip Meeting June 14th-15th 2008
Trip Leaders: Olivia Hyatt, Jamie Shulmeister,
Iain Campbell, Maureen Marra, Marcus Vandergoes

Provisional Itinerary
(The Cobb Valley is a sub-alpine environment at
the end of a very challenging road if weather
conditions are bad – the itinerary for day 2 is
consequently VERY weather dependent- If weather
conditions are bad a trip to the spectacular sand
dunes of Farewell Spit will be substituted)

June 14th Onekaka to Howard Valley return

8.30 am Depart Onekaka
10.00 am Moutere gravels, Golden Downs – fossil
gullies, Kawakawa Tephra, and paleoenvironment of the LGM
11.00 – 12.00 pm Kikiwa to St Arnaud – a sequence
of glacial terminal moraines of uncertain age is
crossed. Tectonic (Alpine Fault) effects on glacial geomorphology
12.00 St Arnaud – Lunch
12.30 Depart for Howard Valley
1.00 pm to 3.00 Howard Valley- Kawakawa Tephra,
stratigraphy of alluvial sediments, fossil
beetles, pollen data and radiocarbon dating.
3.00 pm head back to Onekaka by the same route arriving about 5.30.

June 15th Onekaka - Motueka
9.30 am depart Onekaka
c. 11.00 am arrive at Cobb Valley – view glacial
sedimentary outcrops at dam end of Cobb Reservoir
c 12.00-3.00 pm – proceed to far end of reservoir
– View trilobite rock - guided walk through roche
moutonee fields and terminal moraines to a key
paleoecology site in the terminal moraines and
back to car park. Discussion of the Younger Dryas
in New Zealand and the nature of NZ glaciations – It should be lively.
c. 15.00 head to Motueka and end of field trip

Peter Almond
Soil and Physical Sciences
xtn 8209, B121