[Aqualist] APA scholarships available at Southern Cross University

Barrows, Tim T.Barrows at exeter.ac.uk
Thu May 20 21:51:31 EST 2010

Are you interested in a postgraduate career in geoscience?
Four PhD top-up scholarships @ $10,000 p.a. are currently available from Southern CrossGeoscience for 3 years to undertake leading research for successful APA scholarship applicants. APA scholarships (currently $22,500 p.a.) are now available at Southern Cross University for the mid-round of 2010.
For information on how to apply for top up and APA scholarships visit our website at www.scu.edu./GeoScience<http://www.scu.edu./GeoScience> or contact Prof. Leigh Sullivan (see contact details below).

Students with a high-quality Honours or research Masters Degree in Environmental Science, Geology, Chemistry, or a related field are strongly encouraged to apply! Please visit our Scholarship Webpage<http://www.scu.edu.au/research/college/index.php/4/> where you can download the forms and associated information.
Southern Cross GeoScience conducts land and water research that is globally significant and we have a variety of exciting cutting edge research projects awaiting you. These cross-disciplinary projects typically include one or more of:

 *     Geochemistry
 *     Aquatic Chemistry
 *     Fluvial or Coastal Geomorphology
 *    Carbon biosequestration
 *    Iron and sulfide geochemistry
 *    Acid sulfate soils
 *   Coral palaeoclimatology
After discussions with their intended supervisors applicants may also propose projects tailored to their specific background in these areas.

Scholarship Value
The APA provides an annual living allowance of $22,500 (2010 value). This Stipend is indexed annually and is tax-free unless taken on a part-time basis. The APA also provides a thesis allowance; and a relocation allowance for successful applicants who relocate from another Australian state to take up the APA at SCU. In addition, all successful applicants of the APA will receive a top-up from Southern Cross Geoscience bringing the total scholarship package to $32,500 pa tax free. The Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) enable study for a period three years, with a possible extension of up to six months, for a Doctoral degree.

Eligibility
Applicants must:

 *   be an Australian or New Zealand Citizen; or
 *   be an Australian Permanent Resident; and
 *   have completed four years of higher education studies at a high level of achievement;
 *   hold or expect to obtain, First Class Honours or equivalent results in Environmental Science, Chemistry or a related field;
 *   be enrolled in or accepted to enrol in a Higher Degree by Research as a full-time student in 2011;
Further information and advice
We will assist you in the preparation of an APA scholarship application. Applications for APA scholarships at Southern Cross University close on 31 Mai 2010 so please contact us as soon as possible. For more information on the research centre, potential project areas, or to acquire contact details of potential supervisors, please explore our Southern Cross GeoScience website<http://www.scu.edu.au/geoscience/> further.

Contact: Professor Leigh Sullivan
Director, Southern Cross GeoScience
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480 Australia