[Aqualist] Southern Connections 2013 session: Modern and Paleoclimate Perspectives on the Southern Hemisphere Westerly Wind Field

Michael Fletcher michael.fletcher at live.com.au
Tue May 29 05:39:57 EST 2012

Hello All,

I encourage you to come along to Southern Connections 2013 in Dunedin,
South Island, New Zealand (Jan 21-25).  These meetings are a great
opportunity to integrate with other Southern Hemisphere people, Dunedin
is a lovely location and this meeting has a strong palaeo-content.

I am co-convening a session titled:

19. Modern and Paleoclimate Perspectives on the Southern Hemisphere
Westerly Wind Field
http://www.otago.ac.nz/V11-southern-connection/programme/symposia.html#nineteen

Contact:
Chris Moy
Email chris.moy at otago.ac.nz

Co-covenors:
Michael-Shawn Fletcher (Australian National University);
Patricio Moreno (Universidad de Chile);
Christopher Moy (University of Otago)

Synopsis:
The southern westerly winds are an important feature of atmospheric
circulation in the mid to high latitudes of the Southern Hemisphere. Not
only do the westerlies influence the amount and distribution of
precipitation in all mid to high latitude southern landmasses, the
westerlies play a major role in carbon cycling in the Southern Ocean
through their influence on air-sea gas exchange and are an important
component of regional and global climate dynamics. We welcome a diverse
range of contributions related to the past and present dynamics of the
Southern Hemisphere westerlies. In particular, we encourage both
terrestrial and marine proxy record perspectives, and modeling based
findings, for the time periods of the last glacial maximum,
deglaciation, and Holocene, including both low and high-frequency
timescales. We also encourage papers that focus on the potential effects
of ocean and atmosphere forcing in the high southern latitudes, such as:
changes in biological productivity of the Southern Ocean, changes in sea
ice distribution, changes in mountain glaciers, and changes in
terrestrial ecosystems.

Some other sessions that may be of interest for AQUA members are:
1. Temperate Indigenous Grasslands: their conservation, values,
resilience and sustainable management
http://www.otago.ac.nz/V11-southern-connection/programme/symposia.html#one

8. Biogeographic relationships of Cenozoic terrestrial vertebrates of
Australasia
http://www.otago.ac.nz/V11-southern-connection/programme/symposia.html#eight

9. Trees on the edge of climate change; the application of tree-ring
studies for understanding our past climate and possible forest
vulnerability in the future
http://www.otago.ac.nz/V11-southern-connection/programme/symposia.html#ten

10. Chile/New Zealand: The Continental Scale Experiment
http://www.otago.ac.nz/V11-southern-connection/programme/symposia.html#eleven

14. Wildfire Regime Shifts in Temperate Forest Ecosystems
http://www.otago.ac.nz/V11-southern-connection/programme/symposia.html#fourteen

22. Paleoclimate of the Southern Hemisphere viewed from lakes: linking
records spanning tropical Queensland to southern Patagonia
http://www.otago.ac.nz/V11-southern-connection/programme/symposia.html#twentytwo

Hope to see some of you there.

Michael.

--