[Aqualist] AAA/ASHA 2014 Joint Conference: First Announcement

Ulm, Sean sean.ulm at jcu.edu.au
Sun Mar 23 19:49:39 EST 2014

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT: DATE CLAIMER

AAA/ASHA 2014 Joint Conference

Culture, Climate, Change: Archaeology in the Tropics

1-3 December 2014

The joint AAA/ASHA2014 conference will be hosted by the James Cook University<http://www.jcu.edu.au/>. The conference theme is 'Culture, Climate, Change: Archaeology in the Tropics'.

The tropical zone is home to extraordinary diversity, reflected in a rich and diverse archaeological and natural heritage. In our own region discoveries such as Homo floresiensis, sea-faring Lapita peoples on the south coast of Papua New Guinea and the tropics as a key zone controlling global climate have fundamentally reshaped our understandings of the long-term human histories of these vast land- and seascapes.

We invite you to visit the tropics this year to participate in the joint Australian Archaeological Association/Australasian Society for Historical Archaeology annual conference.

In addition to sessions specifically related to the conference theme, general conference sessions will include: historical, Indigenous, cultural heritage, native title, rock art, maritime, museums, archaeological science, environmental change and public archaeology issues.

Venue
Pullman Cairns International (http://www.pullmancairnsinternational.com.au). Discounted accommodation rates for delegates will be available at the time of registration (to be announced shortly).

Dates
The conference will take place over 3 days (1 to 3 December), preceded by workshops and a welcome reception on Sunday 30 November, with optional daytrips available on 4 December.

Convenor
A/Prof. Sean Ulm (James Cook University)

Deputy Convenor
Dr Geraldine Mate (Queensland Museum/James Cook University)

Food and Accommodation
We have negotiated very favourable accommodation room rates for conference delegates at the Pullman Cairns International commencing from $159 per room per night for up to 3 adults. We encourage delegates to stay at the venue (there are 321 rooms). The discounted rate needs to be booked during the registration process. Buffet breakfast is available for $20 per person. Rate includes in-room internet connection.

A very wide variety of other accommodation and eating options are available within 100m of the conference venue, from budget to 5-star. Lunches and Morning and Afternoon Teas and access to many other activities and benefits are included in the registration fee.

Transport Options
The proposed conference venue is a short taxi or shuttle bus ride from the domestic/international airport which offers regular direct flights from most Australian capital cities and from Auckland, Singapore, Hong Kong and Osaka.

Fieldtrips
We are finalising optional daytrips which will be available for booking at the time of registration.

Partner/Family Programme
Partners and families are welcome to join the fieldtrips and conference dinner. A wide range of partner and family-friendly activities are available from Cairns and a selection of recommended activities will be placed on the conference website. Why not make it a family holiday and enjoy the treats of tropical Australia!

Childcare
We are investigating the provision of subsidised childcare for dependants of delegates at the venue. Expressions of interest will be collected at the time of registration.

Sponsorship
We thank sponsors who have already committed funds to the conference. If you are interested in sponsoring the 2014 conference please contact Luke Godwin (lmgodwin at bigpond.com<mailto:lmgodwin at bigpond.com>) or Aleisha Buckler (a.buckler at uq.edu.au<mailto:a.buckler at uq.edu.au>).

Travel Subsidy Scheme
A travel subsidy scheme will be open for application to student and Indigenous delegates later in the year. Please contact Sean Ulm (sean.ulm at jcu.edu.au<mailto:sean.ulm at jcu.edu.au>) for enquiries.

Further Information
A call for sessions, call for papers and the opening of registration will be announced shortly.

Further details will be available at:

http://www.australianarchaeology.com/conferences/aaa2014-conference/

or

http://www.asha.org.au/conference/

or

Email Julie Jerbic at julie at conferenceonline.com.au<mailto:julie at conferenceonline.com.au>

We look forward to seeing you in December.

P.S. To celebrate the 37th annual conference of the Association the official hashtag for the conference will be #AAA37.