[Aqualist] Katrin Meissner seminar in Adelaide next Friday.

John Tibby john.tibby at adelaide.edu.au
Fri Aug 14 09:52:18 AEST 2015

Dear AQUA listers,
As part of the Sprigg Geobiology Centre seminar series, there is a seminar next Friday which is bound to be a cracker…
“Modelling the dynamics of past climate change events”

A/Prof Katrin Meissner from UNSW Climate Change Research Centre.

Friday August 21, 2015, at 12:10 in the Mawson Lecture Theatre

Katrin’s research is described here:
http://www.ccrc.unsw.edu.au/ccrc-team/academic-research/katrin-meissner
Talk abstract
I will present climate model simulations of three different climate events in the past: the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum and Heinrich Events 1 and 4. The Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, ∼55 million years
before present, was a period of rapid warming marked by a negative carbon isotope excursion and widespread dissolution of seafloor
carbonate. These changes have been attributed to a massive release of carbon into the exogenic carbon cycle, and thus, the event provides an analog for future climate and environmental changes given the current anthropogenic CO2 emissions. Previous attempts to constrain the amount of carbon released have produced widely diverging results, between 2000 and 10,000 gigatons carbon (GtC). Sediment records
indicate that acidification of deep waters was generally more extensive and severe in the Atlantic and Caribbean regions, with more
modest changes in the Southern and Pacific Oceans. Here I will compare simulations integrated with the UVic Earth System Climate Model with reconstructions of temperature and sediment dissolution to present a mechanism that might explain the observed spatial differences and to constrain the total mass of carbon released. In addition, I will present a recent model - proxy data comparison during Heinrich stadials 1 and 4 (17.5-15.5ka BP and 40.2-38.8ka BP) with the isotope-enabled version of the UVic ESCM. Heinrich stadials were cold periods during the past glacial associated with major discharges of icebergs into the North Atlantic. We find that changes in surface (planktic) calcite d18O during these events can be equally attributed to changes in temperature (due to fractionation), changes in ocean circulation, precipitation and evaporation and to the addition of depleted freshwater from continental ice sheets. In contrast, the meltwater and circulation effects have only a small impact on benthic calcite d18O; significant changes in simulated deep ocean temperatures substantially influence

Please note that I generally only check email in the afternoon and so any reply may be delayed. Thanks.
____________________________________

Dr John Tibby
Senior Lecturer
Department of Geography, Environment and Population

School of Social Sciences
Faculty of Arts
Member: Sprigg Geobiology Centre
University of Adelaide
Phone: +61 (0)8 8313-5146
EMAIL: john.tibby at adelaide.edu.au<mailto:john.tibby at adelaide.edu.au>
SKYPE: johntibby

Office address (see below for sample address):
Room G39, Napier Building
North Terrace
Adelaide, South Australia, 5005

Web address: