[TimorLesteStudies] ANU Anthropology Seminar: Looking at the Anthropology of Development through a case study of a horticultural project in an East Timor village

Bu Wilson bu.wilson at anu.edu.au
Mon May 16 11:21:12 EST 2011

Title: Looking at the Anthropology of Development through a case study
of a horticultural project in an East Timor village.

Presenter: Dr Chris Shepherd
Visiting Fellow
Department of Anthropology|
College of Asia and the Pacific, ANU

Date: Wednesday 18 May
Time: 9:30-11:00am
Location: Seminar Room A, Coombs Bldg

Abstract
In this paper I give a brief overview of the main
perspectives in the anthropology of development, and focus on one of
these perspectives (entangled social logics) in relation to a particular
horticultural development project in the highlands of East Timor. In
particular, I look at; what gender meant to the project organizers and
to the local men and women; how equity was and wasn't negotiated within
the community and between the community and the project managers; how
the project was mapped onto existing agro-social patterns and how,
inevitably, project organizers struggled to keep existing agro-social
patterns from interfering with the project, while
participants/beneficiariesseemed determined to mix everything up; and,
finally, the different ideas project organizers and participants held
about "ownership" of the project and what the relationship between the
community and the development agency should be.

/

Dr Bu V.E. Wilson
T: Australia +61  0  407 087 086
T: Timor-Leste + 670 744 0011