[LINK] Surveillance in extremis

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Aug 29 13:54:17 AEST 2006

On 2006 Aug 29, at 1:18 PM, Lea de Groot wrote:

> Howard Lowndes wrote:
> > I really wonder just how effective the SA return system is.  I
> know it's
> > been around for at least 30 years to my certain knowledge, but is it
> > effective?
>
> I lived there for several years.
> It is effective -

Yes I lived there for some years and it is remarkably effective.

> you hardly ever see bottles or milk cartons lying around (unless
> they are in the process of= being picked up by a pensioner, and I'm
> not exaggerating and, frankly, that worries me far more than 'what
> can we do about garbage?' :( )
> However!
> I understand the system makes a loss every year, so while it keeps
> the garbage down (and only one type - the hamburger wrappers still
> flap by in the wind), it is not a cost effective system.

Whether it is cost effective depends on whether you add environmental
factors in in your economic analysis or you treat the whole world as
a free garbage dump.  It also depends on who paid for the study of
cost effectiveness!

Kim

--
Kim Holburn