[LINK] Surveillance in extremis

Lea de Groot lealink at viking.org.au
Tue Aug 29 14:18:31 AEST 2006

Kim Holburn wrote:
 > Whether it is cost effective depends on whether you add environmental
 > factors in in your economic analysis or you treat the whole world as a
 > free garbage dump.  It also depends on who paid for the study of cost
 > effectiveness!

Indeed, but I suspect the implementation was ill conceived.
If I understand how it is run correctly, the government sits in the
middle, receiving an amount per bottle form the manufacturer and paying
out to the consumer.
I think that is inefficient.

I remember recycling cans in Sydney - cans were bought back by the kilo
and it often seemed to be run as a fund raiser by the local scouts, or
similar.

Figuring out a similar system for other packaging seems more practical
and sustainable.

Lea