[LINK] web site choices.

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Sep 5 20:29:16 AEST 2006

At 18:57 +1000 5/9/06, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>Two things struck me:
>2. the variation in licences
>What sort of licence should I assert?

I'd better address this one straight away.

The AEShareNet licence set is designed for materials that the owner
intends to be available for educational purposes (subject to some
not-too-heavy limitations).  If that's a target of your material, I
recommend that you make that licence available to visitors, as per my
pages, e.g.
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/EC/ICEC06.html

Details are available by clicking on the FfE icon.  There are several
other AEShareNet licences, but FfE is most likely what (some) link
subscribers would want to use for (some) of their materials.

(Declaration:  I was Chair of the company that established and runs
the AEShareNet licence set, from its inception until a few weeks ago).

Note that I 'dual license', i.e. I make two different licences
available on many of my pages.

One of the small set of Creative Commons licences ('Some Rights
Reserved') is appropriate if you intend fairly free and open use of
your materials, not specifically within educational contexts.

I generally use the tightest / least-liberal CC licence, the
'by-nc-nd' one.  A quick explanation of the several alternatives in
this section of a First Monday paper:
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/EC/PrePrLic.html#AppCC

Finally, if you want to keep close control over your material,
*don't* use a CC licence.  Instead use an 'All Rights Reserved'
style.  The effect is this is to force anyone who wants to make use
of your material come to you to ask for a licence, and thereby
enables you to match the terms to the circumstances.  (Of course this
ignores those people who ignore the assertion of ownership, and just
use the material anyway, pretending that the implied licence that is
granted my putting the material up on the Web makes it open slather).

I use an 'All Rights Reserved' approach for a small proportion of my
output, which is published on my xamax site.  (All of the material on
my ANU site is open-content licensed, and has been since I started
the site in the mid-1990s).

I'd be happy to clarify or enlarge on the above, but that's probably
already enough to make most people's eyes glaze.

For light relief, check out the position with 'Waltzing Matilda'  (:-)}
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/WM/Copyright.html

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong