[LINK] golden noose, not handshake

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Mar 1 11:30:59 AEDT 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:
> Is there any possibility that these extraordinary requirements are being
> designed into the projects so that the government can say "We will have
> to shelve the idea as no reasonable tender has been received".  Very
> left field I agree, but who know with this gummint...
>
> Jan Whitaker wrote:
>

>>> Golden noose tied to cards
>>> <http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21291812%5E15306,00.html>http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21291812%5E15306,00.html

<snip>
Remind me what was the business case for this project?

Wasn't it something to do with reducing fraud - whether the smart card
can do this is debatable.  Does it deliver any other benefits, will we
be worse of if we can't get the smartcard operational?

Rather than huge financial penalties (probably worked out on some
percentage of the actual contract value)
on slippage on unknown deliverables - a more enlightened approach to ICT
and risk management of achieving objectives is required.

At last week's
> ACS NSW Panel Discussion on NSW ICT industry. Mr Peter Roberts, Managing Editor, BRW moderated the session which included the Hon. John Della Bosca, Hon. Gregory Stephen Pearce & Prof Roy Green who debated NSW ICT sector issues.

There were frequent references to the NSW Innovation Policy
<http://www.business.nsw.gov.au/innovation/>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz