[LINK] survey confidentiality boilerplate

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Thu Mar 1 16:00:18 AEDT 2007

On 1/3/07 3:29 PM, "Roger Clarke" <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au> wrote:

> Here's a response to my posting of a copy on the privacy list:

>> Sounds as though they are using the kind of system like Survey
>> Monkey (and the Telstra Bigpond new customer survey I was invited to
>> do recently!) that requires people to complete one screen at a time,
>> not allowing you to see what the next questions are until you answer
>> the previous set.  Very presumptuous.  They start, of course, with
>> the less intrusive questions and attempt to ease you in to the more
>> sensitive ones.  A basic privacy requirement of a survey should be
>> to allow people to peruse the entire survey in advance, so they can
>> decide for themselves whether or not there are any privacy-invasive
>> questions.

hmmm ... the survey is all on one page, and the question of the following
format (paraphrasing here):

"For the following list of items which might be found on a website, please
enter the label of the section in which you would expect to locate that
item, and optionally the label of the subsection"

1. phone number of the call centre
2. shipping charges for orders
3. profile/resume of the principal consultant
4. photos of the key staff
5. an article from 1999 discussing spam
6. a list of recent publications
7. results of a 2004 survey on privacy attitudes
8. your order history
[and so on. these are not the actual items which will be on the survey]

We actually include the suggestion in the instructions that they could
copy/paste the same label against multiple items.

e.