[LINK] US going digital TV in 2009

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Sun Mar 4 04:32:15 AEDT 2007

At 03:36 AM 4/03/2007, andrew clarke wrote:
>networks for quite a few years now, but as far as I know, none of the
>analogue transmitters have been switched off, partly because retailers
>are still allowed to sell new TVs with analogue receivers.  Most flat
>panel (non-CRT) TVs sold probably have digital receivers though.

Nope, most LCD and Plasma don't have Digital Tuners.  There are some, but
not many.  DVD recorders don't have digital tuners.  VCR's still selling
well, don't have digital tuners.

I'm not buying any more for a LONG time now :)

>formats in different regions.  In Australia (and also many parts of
>Europe), DVB-T is used for free-to-air TV on the VHF & UHF bands.  I was
>under the impression though that the US had chosen a single format,
>albeit incompatible with DVB.

Probably an issue with NTSC :)

>I suspect the most confusing aspect of buying a new TV is whether to
>choose a CRT, LCD, plasma or rear projection set...

Actually, as silly as that seems, it is a big issue.  Each technology has
it's pros and cons and you need to pick carefully.