[LINK] US going digital TV in 2009

Avi Miller avi.miller at squiz.net
Mon Mar 5 09:58:59 AEDT 2007

On 04/03/2007, at 4:32 AM, Adam Todd wrote:

> Nope, most LCD and Plasma don't have Digital Tuners.  There are
> some, but not many.  DVD recorders don't have digital tuners.
> VCR's still selling well, don't have digital tuners.

This is no longer true. I bought a new plasma this weekend (my old
one went kaboom a week or so ago and it seems I can't live without at
least 42" of high definition gloriousness). When I checked out the
available models at JB, almost all of them had at least an SD digital
tuner built in. All of the current release HD models had an HD tuner
built in.

The thing to look for now is the quality of the upscaler in the panel
you select. Considering you can now get plasma and LCD panels at full
HD resolution (1920x1080), you need to keep in mind that DVDs, SD
broadcast and even some so-called HD broadcasts are nowhere near that
resolution. So, the quality you see is based on how good the software
in your panel is at upscaling the source.

I actually bought a new Pioneer DVD player with HDMI out as the
Pioneers are really good (relative to the low cost of the unit) at
upscaling DVD content to 1080i, which is what my new plasma's native
resolution is.

cYa,
Avi

--
National Manager - Special Projects

< Sydney / Melbourne / Canberra / Hobart / London />
   2/340 Gore Street        T: +61 (0) 3 9235 5400
   Fitzroy, VIC             F: +61 (0) 3 9235 5444
   3065                     W: http://www.squiz.net

..... > > Open Source - Own It - Squiz.net ...... />