[LINK] US going digital TV in 2009

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Mar 4 10:10:58 AEDT 2007

At 03:36 AM 4/03/2007, andrew clarke wrote:
>I suspect the most confusing aspect of buying a new TV is whether to
>choose a CRT, LCD, plasma or rear projection set...

Exactly, Andrew. When you start to talk to people about these issues,
say on Whirlpool, you find out that it has gotten very complex. If
you're going to pay many hundreds if not thousands for a picture box
with sound, or as the marketers prefer to spin it, a 'home theatre',
then the thing needs to live up to the quality level sold. Pixel drop
out is a problem I've heard identified.

For me, I'm sticking with analogues with STBs attached. My STB w/HD
(hard drive) is doing just fine. I can feed it into a DVD recorder
for keeping programs I want to, record and watch previously recorded
off the drive at the same time. It's pretty flexible, and MUCH
cheaper. I know the bigger screens and higher definitions are the 'in
thing', but I reckon they are another 'boys and their toys' products.

At least in the US they are talking about some type of subsidies for
individuals when the analogue turns off. John Howard, are you listening? Helen?

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005