[LINK] report on municipal networks

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Mar 8 01:05:17 AEDT 2007

Of course you'd expect an organisation called "The Institute for
Local Self-Reliance" to say something like this.  Doesn't mean it's
not true or relevant but.

http://www.newrules.org/info/5ways.html

> Institute for Local Self-Reliance

> Publicly owned networks are the key to universal access and healthy
> competition
>
> MINNEAPOLIS, JANUARY 8, 2007 – A new report by the Institute for
> Local Self-Reliance argues that a publicly owned information
> infrastructure is the key to healthy competition, universal access,
> and non-discriminatory networks.
>
> “Localizing the Internet: Five Ways Public Ownership Solves the
> U.S. Broadband Problem” notes that high speed broadband is becoming
> ever more widespread.  But, it argues, the way in which that
> broadband is introduced may be as important as whether it is
> introduced.
>
> Many telecommunications companies are offering to build a citywide
> wireless or even wired network at little or no upfront cost to the
> city.  That arrangement is especially attractive to local elected
> officials who fear that government lacks the expertise to manage a
> high tech network and who worry about the possible impact on their
> budget.  “This is an excellent time to remember to look that gift
> horse in the mouth,” maintains Becca Vargo Daggett, the report’s
> author and the director of the Institute’s Telecommunication as
> Commons Project.
>
> “Even deals framed as coming at no cost to the city require the
> public sector to enter into extended contracts to pay millions for
> their own services over the new privately owned network. Cities owe
> it to themselves and their citizens to carefully evaluate the costs
> and benefits of public ownership.”
>
> Ms. Vargo Daggett also notes that cities that own infrastructure
> like roads and water pipelines should not fear owning the physical
> information network. “Concerns about obsolescence are overstated.
> Fiber optics is the gold standard, with essentially unlimited
> capacity and a lifespan measured in decades. Wireless technology is
> rapidly evolving, but its price is low and the payback period is
> short.”

hmmm.... decades?  I think infrastructur people think in slightly
longer terms than that.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant