[LINK] Labor commits to $4.5b high-speed Internet network

Stewart Fist stewart_fist at optusnet.com.au
Sat Mar 24 13:56:24 AEDT 2007

Howard writes:

> PLEEEEEEEESE Keep the states right out of this, they have stuffed up too
> much already.

Every level of government does some things well, and stuffs some things up.

I don't see the state governments of Australia as less or more competent
than the Federal government, and it seems common sense to me that suburban
roads, like suburban pipes, and suburban wires on poles ... and street
telecommunications ducting ... is best kept within the same area of
authority.

The best way to make the 'service' area of telecommunications competitive,
is to have open access to ducting.  And the laying and maintenance of street
ducting, is best in the hands of local or state authorities.

--
Stewart Fist, writer, journalist, film-maker
70 Middle Harbour Road, LINDFIELD, 2070, NSW, Australia