[LINK] Aussie 'Video Lifelines'

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Mar 28 17:46:58 AEST 2007

Jan Whitaker wrote:

> I had a weird experience with my wireless laptop at a friend's house. My
> email is set to search and download every five minutes most of the time.
> My laptop was sitting on her table and it started beeping that I had
> mail. It evidently found an open wifi modem somewhere in the
> neighbourhood (she has dialup). It only worked for a little while,
> though. The owner must have noticed and either locked it down. It was
> still active, but wouldn't allow any more traffic to me.
>
> I think it's a wireless thing, not a Mac or PC thing.

I think it is a convenience thing implemented in the OS. Imagine if you
had to manually scan for and connect to a wireless station each time
you changed locations. Inconvenient.

That said, I have been working with a client who runs a Win/XP laptop.
When she drops by my place for a meeting and does not connect to my
wireless, Winblows keeps nagging every few minutes to connect. I find
it very distracting while trying to get something done on the laptop.
But, I suppose that is Windows "convenience".

I wonder if there is a way to turn off Windows' constant nagging, e.g.
"There are unused icons on your desktop", "I have found a wireless
network", "I have updates for you to install" and so on.

I prefer the Mac OS X approach. Update notification once per week
(the period is selectable). Wireless nets just appear in the Airport
menu and you can pick one if you want. Mac OS X does not nag :)

INAWE (I'm not a wireless expert).

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and
convert them to Christianity.
      -- Anne Coulter of the "American Taliban"