[LINK] Aussie 'Video Lifelines'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Mar 28 15:25:57 AEST 2007

At 02:46 PM 28/03/2007, Antony Barry wrote:
>Sometimes it's too damn clever. When I have it set to be at home via
>wifi and start it up at my partner's place it somehow manages to
>latch onto her wifi signal and get a connection even though the ip
>address was supposed to be static. This is before I have told it too.
>Odd.

I had a weird experience with my wireless laptop at a friend's house.
My email is set to search and download every five minutes most of the
time. My laptop was sitting on her table and it started beeping that
I had mail. It evidently found an open wifi modem somewhere in the
neighbourhood (she has dialup). It only worked for a little while,
though. The owner must have noticed and either locked it down. It was
still active, but wouldn't allow any more traffic to me.

I think it's a wireless thing, not a Mac or PC thing.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005