[LINK] 'Smart' cars as fuel-efficient as hybrids

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed May 16 06:29:23 AEST 2007

Try this for a real eye-opener (using US figures, but it's still
impressive - and you can't deny the visual aspect is alarming):

http://www.chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php?id=?view=XXX_09NNN/

A summary of what is there (all USA-related):

1. Plastic bottles - 2.5 million used every hour
2. Cigarettes - 65,000 new kids under 18 addicted every month
3. Jet trails - 11,000 every 8 hours
4. Mobile phones - 426,000 discarded every day
5. Pain killers - 213,000 admissions each year to emergency wards
after misuse of prescription pain killers
6. Handguns - 29,569 killed by handguns in 2004
7. Brown paper supermarket bags - 1.14 million used every hour
8. Plastic bags - 60,000 used every 5 seconds
9. GMC SUV sales - 24,000 'Denali' model SUVs sold in 6 weeks
10. Prison uniforms - 2.3 million incarcerated in 2005
11. Aluminium cans - 106,000 used every 30 seconds
12. Office paper - 15 million sheets used every 5 minutes
13. SUVs sold - 3.6 million in 2004
14. Money spent on Iraq war - $12.5 million per hour
15. Shipping containers - 75,000 per day in American ports

Check the pictures - food for thought...

iT