[LINK] Welcome to our new website

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Wed May 30 22:59:25 AEST 2007

At 08:51 PM 30/05/2007, Jan Whitaker wrote:
check this though:

>http://australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,21756875-15422,00.html
>Judge Says Keep it Simple, Stupid
>ANANOVA reports that a judge trying an internet terror case stunned
>a court by admitting he did not know what a website was.
>
>Judge Peter Openshaw brought a halt to the trial as a witness was
>being quizzed about an extremist web forum.
>
>He told prosecutors at Woolwich Crown Court: "The trouble is I don't
>understand the language. I don't really understand what a website is."

Been there!

I actually tried to explain IP addresses, domain names and web sites
to Wyndyer J in the NSW Supreme Court during a trial many years
ago.  Boy it was a tough process.  Analogies really aren't helpful
and there isn't really an "alternative" description.

It's not like you can say "Well Ford is one manufacturer of cars and
Holden is another, but they are both cars, have an engine, four
wheels and doors."

I think I achieved the goal in the end, but it took a lot of
"informal" explaining.

Thinking back now, I'd still have trouble explaining what a web site
it.   The "term' itself isn't exactly a description of what the
function is at all.