[LINK] Welcome to our new website

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Thu May 31 15:56:02 AEST 2007

On 30/05/2007, at 10:59 PM, Adam Todd wrote:

> Thinking back now, I'd still have trouble explaining what a web
> site it.   The "term' itself isn't exactly a description of what
> the function is at all.

I think of it as

1. All pages hosted at a particular host name regardless of whether
the ip address is shared by multiple host names or whether the host
name is spread over multiple ip addresses

or

2. All pages developed coherently (whatever that means) regardless of
host name or ip address. eg PictureAustralia <http://
www.pictureaustralia.org/> which is spread over multiple institutions
if you think that the pointers to the pages in the index at NLA are
useless without the supporting databases scattered round the country.

or

3. "Web site" is a pretty useless concept. There are just pages
linked in various ways which may be static or dynamic and there may
be aggregates which group sensibly. A bit like the body where we talk
of organs even though everything is made of cells and the boundaries
of an organ disappear if you look to closely.

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au