[LINK] The farce that is Telstra

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Sat Jun 28 19:21:25 AEST 2008

At 08:15 28/06/2008, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> > The only Telstra option I now have is dialup. They did offer me a
> > wireless modem connection but that is not compatible with my home LAN.
> >
>Stagger me, in what way is the 3G wireless modem incompatible? Out the
>back, surely it's either USB or Ethernet (actually, I was just at a
>friend's place in Windellama, they've just installed the wireless
>broadband talking to a mobile tower at Braidwood. Thrilled to bits,
>considering that their phone line was so long that even on dialup, the
>best they ever got was about 20 kbps...

I've got a Nokia 6120 working fine with Linux and windows via blue
tooth - on the linux box preferred as my router/sever, it's great -
we have the kids lappy, and my and wifelette's all browsing and
VPNing without any issues and quite fast - except when we download
competition movies :)

I have started to prefer the convenience of a mobile phone and lappy
and the instant access I get pretty much anywhere.

It's not costly, I get Gigabytes of traffic for a low monthly price
and it's more available than voice calls.