[LINK] Carrier IQ

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Dec 6 09:20:19 AEDT 2011

At 02:13 PM 1/12/2011, Ivan Trundle wrote:
>What have I missed? Is it a beat up?

A link from Danny Yee's blog: (glad to see you popping up, Danny!)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/01/carrier-iq-what-it-is-what-it-isnt-and-what-you-need-to/

This story is being updated.
Looks like the buck passing is hot at the moment. The enabler
(Carrier IQ) is taking a 'we just make it possible' stance, with lots
of media spin words about improving user experience, while the
carriers who install the software are running a mile in some
instances. If CIQ made a bundle from their initial sales of this
stuff, if I were part of their venture capital group, I'd be jumping ship.

But it also struck me that this sort of snooping software (with the
options set by carriers) are just the sort of thing that government
intelligence services would love. So how do we know there aren't
backroom pressures on carriers to leave this software active 'just in
case' there is a 'terrorist threat' so the spooks can easily access,
opt-in or not? "Trust in government" is such an oxymoronic phrase
nowadays, I'm not sure the public would accept any denials from
either the software house, the carriers or whatever government agency
in about any country at the moment, East and West alike. The track
records are too much swiss cheese.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com