[LINK] Carrier IQ

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 09:34:23 AEDT 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 19:20, Jan Whitaker <jwhit at melbpc.org.au> wrote:

> A link from Danny Yee's blog: (glad to see you popping up, Danny!)
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/01/carrier-iq-what-it-is-what-it-isnt-and-what-you-need-to/

...and another one, straight from the horses´ mouth.

-----
You’d expect a cellular operator to have access to your phone number,
name, address, and billing information, and even be able to see your
calls and text messages while you’re connected to the network, no?
Well, Carrier IQ takes things a step further by tracking your device
even when it’s not connected, and can deliver things you might not
expect it to, such as the apps you’re using and the secure URLs you
visit in your cellphone browser.

Over the past week, we’ve been tracking Carrier IQ closely. There are
plenty of accusations flying around, and plenty of confusion about
just what it is that the company does with this data, what kinds of
data it collects, and why Carrier IQ’s partners secretly bury the
software deep within the operating system rather than asking users to
opt into the program. That’s why we sat down face-to-face with Carrier
IQ at the company’s Mountain View offices this weekend, where we had a
surprisingly open and detailed two-hour conversation with VP Andrew
Coward about nearly everything the company does.

----

Full story:
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/5/2609662/carrier-iq-interview
FC
--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code