[LINK] Cognitive Dissonance [Was: Mind Chauvinism - a quote and a link]

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun May 29 14:18:09 AEST 2011

At 09:15 AM 29/05/2011, David Boxall wrote:
>Interestingly, the greater the
>dissonance the more fiercely we will resist anything that tends to
>endanger the new belief.

Another aspect is what I'll call 'the first encounter effect', where
whoever gets in first, loudest and frequently will be most believed.
This accounts for the difficulty to unlearn something or to change
one's mind. If you invest in accepting something that is within the
limits of cognitive dissonance, you are more likely to hang onto it
rather than admit you were fooled. Explains why 'spin' works.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/