[LINK] Cognitive Dissonance [Was: Mind Chauvinism - a quote and a link]

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Mon May 30 17:03:33 AEST 2011

On 30/05/2011 9:03 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 04:46 PM 29/05/2011, David Boxall wrote:
>
>> To get this back on topic, how much of the evil done on the 'net
>> (bullying, trolling) is abetted by Cognitive Dissonance? How much is
>> just sociopathology?
>
> (IANAPsychologist)
Nor I. :)

> It's certainly egoism, narcissism, and a lack of empathy. I thought
> cognitive dissonance required the person doing it to have a moral
> stance to begin with....
I'm thinking of peer pressure, eroding the morality of those who might
otherwise intervene on behalf of the bullied or at least not participate
in the bullying. As the behaviour escalates without apparent
consequences there must be some dissonance, at varying levels depending
on individuals.

> Trolls and bullies are weak people who hide
> behind the anonymity on-line. Do they feel at odds with a moral code
> where they could modify their behaviour and choose not to, because
> they get something out of the attacks? Or are they unaware (lack of
> empathy, moral conscience) of the effect and drunk on the false power?
I think trolls and bullies are quite different beasts. Bullies operate
in a social environment. Trolls are loners. I agree, trolling is
sociopathology or at least symptomatic.

A sociopath may operate socially, but other people are means to ends,
not significant in themselves. Bullying raises the status of the bully
in the group; other people are significant.

> I vote for sociopathology, not necessarily in the extreme that is
> usually displayed as on TV with serial killers etc., but as an entry
> point to worse behaviour. ...
Let's not confuse sociopaths with psychopaths. They too are different
beasts.

--
David Boxall                    |  The more that wise people learn
                                |  The more they come to appreciate
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  How much they don't know.
                                                         --Confucius