[LINK] WP: The Pentagon is turned on by eWar

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Thu Apr 12 11:08:55 AEST 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, David Boxall wrote:

> Reminds me of a conversation I had, decades ago, with the head of
> security of a government department: security's an inconvenient bore -
> until something goes wrong. Then, the lack of it is the inconvenience.

Please don't get me wrong.  I lock my own systems down as much as possible.
Computer security is important to me and part of my job.
But merely commenting from a user perspective, if people have trouble
navigating their woefully insecure bot-infested PC's now, they are going to
feel both restrained and confused by these "secure" platforms.   I foresee that
the third time someone tries to do something and has to "approve" the constraint
they end up turning it off or lessening the rulesets if they can.   There needs to
be a balance between "usability" and "protection".

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html