[LINK] PC report on the USO Inquiry is out

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 13:02:31 AEST 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 10:33 AM, David Boxall <linkdb at boxall.name> wrote:
> On 19/06/2017 2:07 PM, Narelle wrote:
>>
>> Happy reading!
>>
>> http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/telecommunications/report

NB the word "happy" was not meant to indicate a state of pleasure in
the use above... rather a reference to the size of the report...

> Why is our government trying to kill us? :/ They should be replacing
> existing copper with fibre, then extending the network. Instead, they've
> allowed existing land lines to be neglected and now they want to take them
> out entirely.

It's important to note that the Productivity Commission is not "our
government". The report (from my reading so far of the 432 pages) is
very much an economic view of the USO. It doesn't run to the sort of
society we want to be. It does point to a number of inefficiencies in
a range of regulation and policy objectives which are reasonable. As
they say, it is a report "to government" not "by government".

Eg it is a fact that the USO is outdated, and everyone is locked in to
an "opaque" contract with Telstra for some $253m pa just to provide
the USO voice service. Meanwhile we have an NBN under construction
that lacks obligations to provide a broader range of services. So you
get new housing developments without any service at all as NBN will be
there, so Telstra won't be...

And the ICPA is totally right - if the PC recommendations are
implemented alone, then the 90,000 (probably higher IMO) will not get
satisfactory voice services especially after the copper continuity
guarantees disappear.

So that means obligations on NBN need to be beefed up... and we need
performance benchmarks... and consumer safeguards that work...

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com