[LINK] OT: The Quality of Reporting on "COVID-19-Linked" Deaths

Kate Lance kate at lancewood.net
Fri Apr 3 12:22:00 AEDT 2020

Hi Roger,

The most complete stats I have seen are at:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
They give you per capita cases & deaths, and if you click on a country there
are very detailed graphs.

The timeline of cases at https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest is also
illuminating.

> For example, populations in countries that are less prone to
> hysteria, such as Germanic northern Europe, evidence very low rates in
> comparison with warm-blooded, Mediterranean countries.

I think this point is simply a national stereotype. Check out death rates in
say, Norway (lockdown) compared to Sweden (no lockdown). Or disastrous Britain
(minimal testing) - all northern countries. The Germans are doing something
very right, probably their massive levels of testing. The Vietnamese
(tropical) are also doing very well.

And your point 4 is purely anecdotal.  I'd be curious to see what country in
Europe doesn't have a lot of cross-border nationals working in health.

Regards,
Kate