[LINK] Australian University Rankings

David dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Fri Sep 4 10:37:57 AEST 2020

On 4/09/2020 8:53 am, Tom Worthington wrote:
> But with this [a requirement to do research] comes the inefficiency of institutions which can't specialize in a particular field of research, or focus on education.

All true, but I think there's another side to the argument.  Staff with a funded research interest probably make more informed & involved teachers (providing they don't focus on some hobby-horse), and a "focus on education" tends to mean vocational training, especially with conservative governments.  Remember Abbott's attitude to climate research, or recent defunding of the humanities?

David Lochrin