[LINK] Uncrewed submarines as ocean becomes ‘transparent’

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Apr 8 09:55:12 AEST 2023

Good heavens.  So much silliness it's hard to know where to start.

On 2023/04/8 12:47 am, Stephen Loosley wrote:
> Oops .. previous email sent incomplete ..
>
> Well, to me, it appears the only national threat we have is China.

The only national threat we have is China?  Really?

Why would China want to invade such a far away and difficult place, especially when they already own a lot of it?

> Anytime, China could take & hold much of our northern coastline
> utilizing it’s large commercial fleet, hundreds of kilometres inland.

No, it really couldn't.  Unless at sometime in the future we were part of China's 35-dashed line ;-)  It would have had to take
Indonesia first and given the demographic challenges it faces, China is not going to be a threat in a few decades.  The major
economies in 5 decades, given a world without climate change, would be India and Indonesia.

> The only thing we can do then, is to use localized nuclear weapons.

1. We don't have nuclear weapons and they do.
2. Bomb our own country?  That's as bad an idea as the Brisbane line.

> Yes, use low yield nuclear weapons on our own lands, discharged in
> uninhabited areas of the Australian continent. No-one uses the land.

Terra Nullius all over again, eh?

> Or hope original-peoples agree to leasing significant areas of country
> to enable China to resettle a significant population due to little water.

Same problem as Australia really.

> If China attacks Australia to gain clean settlement-land due to drought
> we cannot win that fight. David/Goliath. Best negotiate a lease/treaty.

Just not going to happen and the logistics mean it's a not a fight we couldn't win.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant