[LINK] Uncrewed submarines as ocean becomes ‘transparent’

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Apr 9 11:58:30 AEST 2023

On 7/4/23 14:29, Karl Auer wrote:

> ... will not remain vulnerable ...

Better protection against drones no doubt will be developed. However,
there is no getting away from a submarine being a large target, which
has a lot of money, and people invested in it, while a drone is a small,
relevantly cheap, disposable weapon.

> ... these (as yet essentially non-existent) drones.

Australia's underwater drone factory in Sydney has turned out its first
prototype:
https://breakingdefense.com/2022/12/first-anduril-prototype-ghost-shark-drone-sub-delivered-to-aussies-3-months-early/

The ship to test them is being fitted out in Singapore.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-08/defence-spends-110-million-on-second-hand-vessel/102201502

> ... might include
> submarines being able to launch their own drone swarms ...

Yes, I mentored a team in the Navy Warfare Innovation Workshop 2020,
investigating how to counter drone swarms:
https://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2020/12/navy-warfare-innovation-workshop-2020.html

> Nothing stays the same for long except human stupidity, which reaches
> its apotheosis not (as many believe) in politics, but in war.

Sī vīs pācem, parā bellum.

--
Tom Worthington http://www.tomw.net.au