[LINK] Nationprograms to recruit IT people with vocational qualifications.al Skills Passport

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sat Sep 30 09:04:14 AEST 2023

On 27/9/23 19:37, Stephen Loosley wrote:

> And the U.S. would appear to be thinking along similar lines ...

Not that similar. Australia has a national system of qualifications
which covers blue collar, as well as blue chip education. We just need a
way to record and present skills.

> Bureaucratic hurdles await every candidate for a civil service job. But there's a special set of problems facing experienced workers who lack blue-chip educational credentials.

In Australia, if you want your skills documented you can go along to a
vocational education institution, and have it recognized with a formal
nationally recognized qualification. You don't have to do a course, or
attend class, if you can show you have the required skills and knowledge.

I went along to the Canberra Institute of Technology (previously ACT
TAFE), and for under $500 got myself a Certificate IV in Training and
Assessment. I had to do an online course for 20% of this, but got the
other 80% based on what I already did.
https://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2013/08/certificate-iv-in-training-and.html

> ... “completely eliminating the need for previous work experience or a degree if you can demonstrate that you’ve got the skills to do the job.”

How do you demonstrate skills for a job, with no form of certification?
Is each employer going to run you through similar tests every time you
apply?

What the article don't mention is widely recognized US based industry
certifications. For the last week I have been marking 200 submissions
where computer students had to write career goals. Only a few had
ambitions of doing more study, but many wanted to get industry
certifications, particularly for cyber security.

> “We’re enamored with degrees,” ...

The Australian Public Service has for decades had schemes where they put
employees through TAFE and university education. I was hired as a
"programmer's assistant", and training in computing, in house, using
contracted industry experts.

--
Tom Worthington http://www.tomw.net.au