[LINK] Nationprograms to recruit IT people with vocational qualifications.al Skills Passport

Jan Whitaker jwhit at internode.on.net
Sat Sep 30 14:44:48 AEST 2023

That's been around at least 10+ years. ACS was instituting it when I was
teaching in the program with Tom.

The US has had equivalent TAFE/VET to Uni curriculum coordination for
around 40 years. It was called 'articulation'. I used to write
curriculum outlines for technical subjects and 2 year degrees that were
then submitted to the unis and the state for filing as equivalent
'credits' so that students could go from our programs into uni without
needing to repeat their first 2 years of courses in a program of study.
I didn't write them by myself, of course. I did it in conjunction with
subject matter experts and faculty who taught in the programs. Some were
unique, like Swiss Automatic Screw Machine Operator. That is a real
thing. Also did a range of subjects in various chip manufacturing, which
we did a lot of in Phoenix area, particularly DEC, Motorola and I think
HP or one of the other big ones. Business management was another one.
Thanks for the memories!

I reckon all this "new" stuff is just because people who knew about it
either retired, gave up, or just weren't asked. I believe it's called
'reinventing the wheel' and loss of corporate memory.

Jan