[Aqualist] AQUA pre-conference field trip: First Circular

Tim Barrows Tim.Barrows at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 13 10:53:51 EST 2004

AQUA pre-conference field trip: First Circular

A field trip will run before the 2004 Australasian Quaternary Association
meeting at Cradle Mountain looking at glacial and periglacial geomorphology
of Tasmania. Below is the program for the trip. The trip will begin in
Launceston and will travel around Tasmania clockwise.

Program

2nd December (Thursday)
Pre-trip meeting at Launceston airport in the evening.

3rd December (Friday)
Ben Lomond Plateau

The largest expanse of alpine area in Australia, the Ben Lomond Plateau
sports a huge variety of glacial and periglacial geomorphology. The plateau
edge is draped in talus slopes and relict rock glaciers whereas vast
solifluction slopes fill the valleys on top of the plateau. At some point
during the Pleistocene an ice sheet extended over the plateau and spilled
out on to the flanks. Exposure ages on a relict rock glacier limit this
glaciation to before 500,000 yr. During the last glacial maximum (LGM) only
a small area was glaciated. We will look at the evidence for an ice sheet
and one of the talus slopes we exposure dated.

4th December (Saturday)
Mt Field National Park

On the second day we will look at some of the exceptionally well-preserved
glacial geology in the Mt Field area. Here are some of the best-dated
moraines in Tasmania from the LGM together with a record of rapid ice
retreat. There is also clear evidence here for an ice advance during MIS 3
and the youngest moraines dated in Tasmania.

5th December (Sunday)
West Coast Range

On the last day we will travel through the West Coast Range. We will look
at the Hamilton Moraine, one of the most impressive moraines in Tasmania.
Viewed as the LGM type section in the past, exposure dating shows that it
is older than 190,000 yr and was probably formed before 350,000 yr. We will
also see the Poets Hill moraine, left an the LGM glacier. Time permitting;
we may look at some older glacial features on the drive to Cradle Mountain.

Light hiking will be involved, so a reasonable level of fitness will be
required.