ASIA_NEWS: seminar, '...response tokens in Japanese'

Greg Young greg at orient.anu.edu.au
Mon Nov 26 09:40:29 EST 2001

From: Peter Hendriks <Peter.Hendriks at anu.edu.au>
About: seminar, '...response tokens in Japanese'

JAPAN CENTRE SEMINAR
FACULTY OF ASIAN STUDIES

Friday November 30, 12 noon
Seminar Room E3.43, BPB

Chiharu Mukai
Japan Centre, ANU

An analysis of response tokens in Japanese

the seminar will be presented in English
all welcome

Abstract:
AN ANALYSIS OF RESPONSE TOKENS IN JAPANESE

The objectives of my PhD research are to investigate response tokens,
such as nn, hai, and soo or yeah and mm hm, that are commonly referred
to as aizuchi or $B%d(Bback-channels$B%f(B, in reference to their sequential
placements and to distinguish the tasks accomplished by these
individual objects in Japanese conversation. In studies of Japanese
response tokens, there is a strong tendency to treat these objects as
an undifferentiated collection of aizuchi or back-channels and very
few attempts have been made to distinguish between them. This research
also aims to demonstrate how these response tokens influence the
shaping of the course of the talk in Japanese conversation. The
methodology of Conversation Analysis (CA) is employed for the
analysis.

In this seminar, I will present my PhD research plan and report on
some findings of one of the response tokens, huun.

Peter Hendriks Japan Centre ANU ACT 0200 AUSTRALIA
voice: +61.2.6125.3206 fax: +61.2.6125.3144
email: Peter.Hendriks at anu.edu.au                           $BF|K\8l$G$I$&$>(B
announcing forthcoming Asia-area lectures, seminars, and programs,
introducing Asia-area academic visitors to the university, and
announcing Asia-related conferences and staff activities.

* email your announcement as PLAIN TEXT to: asia_news at anu.edu.au

  PLEASE NOTE: email attachments are NOT acceptable. Postings with
  attachments are discarded without notice.

  subject line and the message: unsubscribe asia_news

* moderator:  Greg Young <Greg.Young at anu.edu.au>