[Easttimorstudies] 3 recent academic articles that may be of interest

Jennifer Drysdale jenster at cres10.anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 23 15:52:23 EST 2006

Security sector reform in East Timor, 1999–2004

Ludovic Hood

Abstract:

The UN's ground-breaking peace operation in East
Timor achieved many successes, surmounting a
major humanitarian crisis and laying basic
foundations for the future state's governance
institutions. However, in the critical areas of
police and military reform, the UN failed to
exploit its unprecedented civil authority and
relatively benign operating environment. Poor
leadership, negligible planning and altogether
unqualified UN police contingents produced
security services devoid of adequate
institutional development and woefully lacking in
any democratic oversight. As a result, the young
nation's fragile democracy may be at risk from
security forces accountable to no one, bar a
handful of powerful political leaders.

   Journal: International Peacekeeping
   Publisher:  Routledge, part of the Taylor & Francis Group
   Issue:  Volume 13, Number 1 / March 2006
   Special Issue: Security Sector Reconstruction
and Reform in Peace Support Operations

Truth and reconciliation? The experience of Truth Commissions1

Beth Rushton

A1

Abstract:

Do truth commissions achieve truth? Do they
achieve reconciliation? This article will
consider these two questions in turn. I argue
that truth commissions have failed to discern and
report accurate and complete records of past
atrocities, but they are socially and politically
purposive. To reach this conclusion requires
examining some theoretical concerns about the
nature of truth and consideration of the accuracy
and completeness of commissions’ reports. I argue
that truth commissions do not achieve
reconciliation, but they can catalyse it. I
develop this argument through examining meanings
of reconciliation, its (contested) relationship
with truth and issues that complicate and advance
its achievement. In this article I differentiate
between truth as a product­a commission's
report­and truth seeking as a process. I examine
the contribution of both product and process to
the achievement of truth and reconciliation.

Australian Journal of International Affairs
   Publisher:  Routledge, part of the Taylor & Francis Group
   Issue:  Volume 60, Number 1 / March 2006
   Pages:  125 - 141

East Timor's double life: Smells like Westphalian spirit

Simon Philpott A1

Abstract:

While East Timor may have been the last nation to
emerge out of the turbulent 20th century, its
passage to nationhood was as protracted, painful
and violent as that of many of its predecessors.
With it regarded by the majority of international
opinion as too small, too weak and lacking in
economic viability to establish itself as a
nation-state at the time of Portuguese
decolonisation, East Timorese aspirations for
statehood were all but ignored in 1974 – 75,
while the Indonesian government received covert
support from the USA and Australia for its
invasion and occupation of the Portuguese colony.
However, in the aftermath of the Santa Cruz
massacre of 1991, neither Indonesia nor its
allies could convincingly deny the legitimacy of
East Timorese demands for independence in a world
of sharply reduced cold war tensions and
reinvested in the merits of democratic
sovereignty. This article examines the
circumstances of East Timor's invasion,
indigenous discourses of identity and resistance,
and the role played by the UN in steering East
Timor from military occupation to independence.

Third World Quarterly
   Publisher:  Routledge, part of the Taylor & Francis Group
   Issue:  Volume 27, Number 1 / February 2006
   Pages:  135 - 159

    Special Issue: From Nation-Building To State-Building