[TimorLesteStudies] Online Seminar: 'Truth-Telling in Timor-Leste, lessons for Australia', October 27

Michael Leach mleach at swin.edu.au
Wed Oct 13 14:31:51 AEDT 2021

SEMINAR SERIES

Decolonising truth globally

Truth-telling in Timor-Leste, lessons for Australia

Wednesday 27 October, 7.30pm AEDT

The Alfred Deakin Institute for Citizenship and Globalisation (ADI) and the Institute of Postcolonial Studies (IPCS) are running a series of seminars on international experiences of truth-telling with particular relevance to the unfolding conversation in Australia following the release of the Uluru Statement calling for Voice, Treaty and Truth in 2017.

The Commission for Reception, Truth and Reconciliation in East Timor (CAVR: Comissao de Acolhimento, Verdade e Reconciliacao de Timor Leste) was initially established in 2001 under the UN Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET) to investigate human rights abuses that occurred between April 1974 and October 1999 after the occupation of the country by the Indonesian military. This was the first such commission in Asia.

Join Hugo Fernandes, Pat Walsh, Galuh Wandita, and Lia Kent, for our next seminar as we look at the truth-telling experience in Timor-Leste.

AUSLAN interpreting is available upon request. If you require an interpreter or have other access needs, please contact us.

REGISTER<https://ipcs.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f658cc6880e2b1f06e80a9f4&id=304ba73fc4&e=36cf0d5fc5>

TO REGISTER:
https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/truth-telling-in-timor-leste-lessons-for-australia-tickets-186338271787

Professor Michael Leach
Politics and International Relations
Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
Swinburne University of Technology
H98, PO Box 218 Hawthorn VIC
AUSTRALIA 3122
Phone: +61 3 9214 5357