Mac OS Back-Compatibility [Was Re: [LINK] Microsoft]

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sun Aug 6 15:46:48 AEST 2006

Eleanor Lister <eleanor at pacific.net.au> wrote:
>  ...  an iBook G4 running OS-X and has X11 support as well ... it's
>quite nice, IMHO, and i use OpenOffice 2.0 on it, never crashes, i
>don't even know what a crash would look like.

The trials with OpenOffice 1.0 were very disappointing.  And Neo was
so slow that I abandoned that idea very quickly.  (I'm on a twin
867MHz desktop, and just moved from a 5-year-old portable to a new
12-inch - which had a broken or twisted Ethernet port and already has
several bruises on the top cover).

I'd hoped by now to be entirely XML-based internally, with
DTDs/schemas out to print and printlike formats (RTF, PDF) and out to
the Web (XHTML).  No such luck.

But I haven't checked out OpenOffice 2.0 yet.

So its user interface is workable?

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong