Mac OS Back-Compatibility [Was Re: [LINK] Microsoft]

Alan L Tyree alan at austlii.edu.au
Mon Aug 7 10:59:31 AEST 2006

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 15:46:48 +1000
Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au> wrote:

> Eleanor Lister <eleanor at pacific.net.au> wrote:
> >  ...  an iBook G4 running OS-X and has X11 support as well ... it's
> >quite nice, IMHO, and i use OpenOffice 2.0 on it, never crashes, i
> >don't even know what a crash would look like.
>
> The trials with OpenOffice 1.0 were very disappointing.  And Neo was
> so slow that I abandoned that idea very quickly.  (I'm on a twin
> 867MHz desktop, and just moved from a 5-year-old portable to a new
> 12-inch - which had a broken or twisted Ethernet port and already has
> several bruises on the top cover).

Hi Roger,
OO 2.0 is much better if you are a fan of the big wordprocessor stuff.
For a lot of things, I find Abiword to be more than adequate. Very fast
and clean.

I am not a fan of the big wordprocessors except for small tasks. I use
LaTeX along with emacs in order to get multiple indexes (normal index,
table of cases, table of statutes) automatically and painlessly
organised for large projects. Lyx is a terrific item, but I haven't
worked out the multiple index problem yet.

On Apple stuff generally: I bought a new G4 iBook with Tiger. I tried
using it for a few months, but now it runs Ubuntu. Sleep is no problem
and it generally just works.

Alan

> I'd hoped by now to be entirely XML-based internally, with
> DTDs/schemas out to print and printlike formats (RTF, PDF) and out to
> the Web (XHTML).  No such luck.
>
> But I haven't checked out OpenOffice 2.0 yet.
>
> So its user interface is workable?
>
> --
> Roger Clarke
> http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/
>
> Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd      78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611
> AUSTRALIA Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916
> mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
> http://www.xamax.com.au/
>
> Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National
> University Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program
> University of Hong Kong Visiting Professor in the Cyberspace Law &
> Policy Centre      Uni of NSW
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 427 486 206
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662